Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Lexical Gap

Lately I have found that I have lost a lot of the orientation with which I used to speak. I had been blaming this on the fact that I have not been in school for a whole year and, let's face it, haven't been surrounding myself with the most intellectually stimulating company. But I've actually come to find that many of my problems are due to a LEXICAL GAP. aggghhsdmknvladfvgaerg.

A lexical gap is basically a phrase to describe the fact that there isn't a word for something. As you know, fitting an entire phrase of emotions into one adjective can be quite hard to do at times. So, while my daily monologues seem to be rife with incoherent ramblings, there really probably is no way to simplify them.

And I don't actually see a problem with it. People are not math equations; they cannot be simplified. Everyone is, in their own way, complex-- and that, I believe, compiles most of the beauty in the world. When you try to simplify your thoughts and emotions for others you are doing yourself a great disservice, and you are doing everyone else a great disservice. The world would be a lot easier if we were simple. There would probably be less pain and misunderstanding. But without people and their complexities we would also not have philosophy and literature.

And when you think about all the great things in life, what, really, do you think of? Personally, I don't think about that conversation that I followed really well or that television show that I understood without having to think about it. I think of the books I read that made me think about how I view the world and the people I spoke to that gave me a new perspective on the importance of interval notations.... or whatever.

Basically my point is that the world is full of faults, and, yes, lexical gaps are a fault. But I feel that the faults of the world cause us to think more and communicate more and while it is maybe not more efficient, it is definitely more profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment